SECRETS OF A PARKING GURU
AT A GARAGE
1) If you pay attention to specials, you can park a whole day in Manhattan for as little as $6. Garages modify, remove, or add specials to drive additional business and compete with neighboring garages. Nycgarages.com will modifying our Website next month to add support for free reservations and rate guarantees. The modifications will clearly indicate special rates.
2) Many garages and lots offer discounted monthly rates that are not posted on their signs. If you are willing to park “days only” and particularly “nights only,” you can often save close to 50 percent off the full-time rate.
3) Look for garages that don’t have elevator lifts, or you’ll need to factor in serious wait time to retrieve your car.
4) Be careful when you’re staying overnight; a lot of garages will have an early-morning cutoff for “overnight,” then charge you for an extra day if you’re not out by 5 a.m.
ON THE STREET
1) Learn the traffic-enforcement culture for your area. For example, traffic cops on the Upper East Site don’t tolerate double parking during street-cleaning times, while it is perfectly acceptable in many sections of the Upper West Side.
2) The best time to find a spot is when everyone is leaving Manhattan: between 4 and 5:30 p.m.
3) Fold in the outside mirror, and try to park closer in to the curb than the car parked behind or in front of you, so a passing vehicle will sideswipe that car and not yours.
4) Always call 311 before moving your car just to make sure that parking hasn’t been suspended for the following day.