|John Lennon: The Life by Philip Norman. ecco.||American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House by Jon Meacham. Random House.||Chagall: a Biography by Jackie Wullschlager. Knopf.||Somebody: The Reckless Life and Remarkable Career of Marlon Brando by Stefan Kanfer. Knopf.||Digging for Dirt: The Life and Death of ODB [Ol’ Dirty Bastard] by Jaime Lowe. Faber and Faber.||Rimbaud: The Double Life of a Rebel by Edmund White. Atlas & Co.|
“[He] was an impossible guest. He took to nude sunbathing … He mutilated an heirloom crucifix.”
“[He] used to buy a cucumber and a herring … eating the head one day and keeping the tail for the next.”
“He became a dedicated wanker … Once, he accepted [a friend’s] challenge to do it ten times in a single day… ”
“I caught a glimpse of … his fairy-tale canopy bed shrouded in cascading yellow chiffon.”
“Hired as an usher at a local movie house … he substituted a dickey for the starched shirt…”
“One of his secretaries once observed that ‘there was more of the woman in his nature than in that of any man I ever knew…’”
Who Conserved Herring? Who Self-Pleasured to Excess?
Match the subject to the biography.
Answers: 1F; 2C; 3A; 4E; 5D; 6B
- Toni Morrison’s History Lesson
- The Return of John Updike and Philip Roth
- The Semi-Gothic Debut Novelist: Hannah Tinti
- Amitav Ghosh Creates a New Language
- Match the Subject to the Biography
- Is Roberto Bolaño's Final Novel His Greatest?
- Memoirs Tackling Addiction and Mental Illness
- Vulture's Recommend-o-Matic: Books
- Marilynne Robinson Returns to Gilead
- The Season in Books
Classical & Dance
- Counting Down to the Premiere of Doctor Atomic
- Which Venues Are Closed for the Season
- Daniel Barenboim Is Keeping Busy
- Carnegie Hall Honors Leonard Bernstein
- Doug Cuomo Trades SATC for Sanskrit
- Alisa Weilerstein Joins the Family Business
- String Quartet Ethel Turns Music Into Theater
- Chopin Inspires Benjamin Millepied
- The Season in Classical & Dance
- Rachel Weisz Tries Comedy
- What You Should Know About The Road Director John Hillcoat
- Q&A With Josh Brolin on Playing George Bush
- A Guide to The Season's Bro Movies
- Q&A With Catherine Keener on Being Charlie Kaufman's Nightmare Muse
- Benicio Del Toro Won't Make Fun of Your Che T-Shirt
- Why Beverly Hills Chihuahua Is a Stoner Classic
- Vulture's Recommend-o-Matic: Movies
- The Season in Movies
- Oasis and the Verve Refuse to Go Out Quietly
- Will America Go Berserk for Glasvegas?
- Leona Naess Comes Back From the Depths
- Young Jeezy Isn't Cutting Back
- Motörhead Returns With 21st Album
- Brian Wilson Explores the California Dream
- The Jazz Event of the Season: Festival of New Trumpet Music
- Big Bands Make a Comeback
- Deerhunter Turns Down the Noise
- Sigur Rós Dresses Up
- TV on the Radio Comes Through Loud and Clear
- Q&A With Free Blood About "Sex Party Music"
- The Season in Pop
- J.J. Abrams Tries to Play It Straight
- $10 Million for a Pilot?
- Simon Baker Makes Us Watch a Telepathic Quack
- Can Two Commonwealth Comedies Import Funny?
- Where New York–Based Shows Left Off
- 90210 Returns
- Christian Slater Is His Own Worst Enemy
- Vulture's Recommend-o-Matic: TV
- Will Michael Scott Find Love on The Office?
- The Season in TV