This is the fall of absences. New York City Opera is skipping the 2008–09 season, the better to renovate the New York State Theater, and also the better to roar back into business with a brave new manager (Gérard Mortier) and a crazily ambitious program the following year. Alice Tully Hall is quiet, too, until February, when it returns with a new look and—dare we hope?—the warmer sound its patrons have been craving since opening day in 1969.
What You Won’t Hear This Season
- Toni Morrison’s History Lesson
- The Return of John Updike and Philip Roth
- The Semi-Gothic Debut Novelist: Hannah Tinti
- Amitav Ghosh Creates a New Language
- Match the Subject to the Biography
- Is Roberto Bolaño's Final Novel His Greatest?
- Memoirs Tackling Addiction and Mental Illness
- Vulture's Recommend-o-Matic: Books
- Marilynne Robinson Returns to Gilead
- The Season in Books
Classical & Dance
- Counting Down to the Premiere of Doctor Atomic
- Which Venues Are Closed for the Season
- Daniel Barenboim Is Keeping Busy
- Carnegie Hall Honors Leonard Bernstein
- Doug Cuomo Trades SATC for Sanskrit
- Alisa Weilerstein Joins the Family Business
- String Quartet Ethel Turns Music Into Theater
- Chopin Inspires Benjamin Millepied
- The Season in Classical & Dance
- Rachel Weisz Tries Comedy
- What You Should Know About The Road Director John Hillcoat
- Q&A With Josh Brolin on Playing George Bush
- A Guide to The Season's Bro Movies
- Q&A With Catherine Keener on Being Charlie Kaufman's Nightmare Muse
- Benicio Del Toro Won't Make Fun of Your Che T-Shirt
- Why Beverly Hills Chihuahua Is a Stoner Classic
- Vulture's Recommend-o-Matic: Movies
- The Season in Movies
- Oasis and the Verve Refuse to Go Out Quietly
- Will America Go Berserk for Glasvegas?
- Leona Naess Comes Back From the Depths
- Young Jeezy Isn't Cutting Back
- Motörhead Returns With 21st Album
- Brian Wilson Explores the California Dream
- The Jazz Event of the Season: Festival of New Trumpet Music
- Big Bands Make a Comeback
- Deerhunter Turns Down the Noise
- Sigur Rós Dresses Up
- TV on the Radio Comes Through Loud and Clear
- Q&A With Free Blood About "Sex Party Music"
- The Season in Pop
- J.J. Abrams Tries to Play It Straight
- $10 Million for a Pilot?
- Simon Baker Makes Us Watch a Telepathic Quack
- Can Two Commonwealth Comedies Import Funny?
- Where New York–Based Shows Left Off
- 90210 Returns
- Christian Slater Is His Own Worst Enemy
- Vulture's Recommend-o-Matic: TV
- Will Michael Scott Find Love on The Office?
- The Season in TV