UPSTATE NEW YORK
The Great Jack-o-Lantern Blaze
Van Cortlandt Manor, 525 S. Riverside Ave., nr. Croton Point Ave., Croton-on-Hudson, N.Y.; 914-631-8200
Talk about spectacle! Four thousand hand-carved, illuminated pumpkins are set against the 300-year-old Van Cortlandt Manor.
• Date: Oct. 5–7, 11–14, 18–21, and 24–30, 6:30 p.m.–9 p.m.
• Price: $14–$16 adults; $10–$12 kids 5–17; free for kids under 5
Legend Weekend Nights
Philipsburg Manor, 381 N. Broadway, nr. Pocantico St., Sleepy Hollow, N.Y.; 914-631-8200
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow finds the perfect setting as Philipsburg Manor is transformed into a wicked, wicked place with ghosts, witches, pirates, and other characters from local lore.
• Date: Oct. 19–20 and 26–28, 6 p.m.–9 p.m.
• Price: $14 adults; $10 kids 5–17; free for kids under 5
Washington Irving’s Sunnyside
89 W. Sunnyside Ln., nr. Fargo Ln., Tarrytown, N.Y.; 914-631-8200
There's a nineteenth-century magic show with a Charles Dickens impersonator, balladeer Linda Russell singing of betrayal, and storyteller Jack McGuire regaling listeners with Irish ghost stories.
• Date: Oct. 27–28, 10 a.m.–4 p.m.
• Price: $12 adults; $6 kids 5–17; free for kids under 5
Six Flags Great Adventure, 1 Six Flags Blvd., Jackson, N.J.; 732-928-1821
The theme park increases your options with witch-doctor storytelling, trick-or-treating, and a Wheel of Fright that lets you cut in line if you eat a cockroach.
• Date: Oct. 6–8, 13–14, 19–21, and 26–28, Fri. 5 p.m.–11 p.m.; Sat. 10 a.m.–11 p.m.; Sun.–Mon. 10:30 a.m.–10 p.m.
• Price: $59.99 adults; $29.99 kids under 54 inches tall; free for kids 3 and under