How the Grinch Stole Christmas
St. James Theatre, 246 W. 44th St., nr. Eighth Ave.; 212-239-6200.
Thankfully, Broadway becomes Whoville once again as the popular musical returns for a second year.
• Dates: Through Jan. 6; Wed. 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.; Thurs. 11 a.m. and 7:30 p.m.; Fri. 11 a.m. and 7:30 p.m.; Sat. 11 a.m., 2 p.m., 5 p.m., and 8 p.m.; Sun. 11 a.m., 2 p.m., and 5 p.m.
• Price: $23.75–$108.75
New York Botanical Garden, Bronx River Pkwy. at Fordham Rd.; 718-817-8700.
Gingerbread houses are fine for flyover states, but Balthazar pastry chef Mark Tasker's gingerbread Empire State Building is a more fitting creation for New York.
• Dates: Through Jan. 13; times vary
• Price: $20, $18 seniors and students, $7 children 2-12; free for children under 2
A Christmas Carol
TBG Arts Center, 312 W. 36th St., nr. Eighth Ave., third fl. ; 212-802-4537.
Personal Space Theatrics keeps it traditional with its production of Dickens's classic story, interspersed with holiday songs.
• Dates: Dec. 7–22; Tues.–Wed. 7 p.m., Thurs. 6:30 p.m., Fri. 8 p.m., Sat. 2 p.m. and 8 p.m., Sun. 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.
• Price: $10–$20
The Littlest Light on the Christmas Tree
Vital Theatre Company, 2162 Broadway, at 76th St., fourth fl.; 212-352-3101.
Original songs provide the soundtrack for a little boy and a discarded Christmas bulb who save the day when their town suffers a blackout.
• Dates: Dec. 8–Jan. 6; Sat.–Sun. 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.; Dec. 26–Dec. 28; Wed.–Fri. 1 p.m.
• Price: $18
Santa Roof Rescue
New York City Fire Museum, 278 Spring St., nr. Varick St.; 212-691-1303.
Once New York's Bravest get St. Nick inside safely, it's time for photo ops and hot chocolate.
• Date: Dec. 9, noon
• Price: $5, $2 students and senior citizens, $1 children under 12
Chanukah Celebration With Mallory Lewis and Lamb Chop
Jewish Community Center in Manhattan, 334 Amsterdam Ave., at 76th St.; 646-505-5708.
Didn't know that Lamb Chop was Jewish? Well, she is, and she'll be belting out original Hanukkah tunes in a concert with plenty of audience participation.
• Date: Dec. 10, 5 p.m.
• Price: $18–$22; free for children under 1