Having a place of one’s own to escape the city, even just for the weekend, is the ultimate urban fantasy. In this, the annual Spring Design issue, we look at the lucky ones who do. Their getaways couldn’t be more different: One is the classic Palm Springs dream of palm trees and Eames chairs. Another is a sprawling, Gatsby-esque estate. Yet another is a one-room bathhouse in the woods where you (or, in this case, Rachel Maddow) can close the door, settle into the hot tub, and watch the football game in peace.
- The Palm Springs Idyll
- A desert Modernist classic (photographed by another Modernist classic).
- An Eclectic Family Compound in Quiogue
- Where an architect couple turned the volume “up to 11.”
- Where Rachel Maddow Can Watch TV
- A bathhouse that is more than just a bathhouse.