A former Condé executive compares the magazine publisher to a broken-down car facility. Plus, Barry Diller’s AIC loses a chunk of change, and Jann Wenner, Clear Channel, and the Baltimore Sun make cuts, but remain troubled.
• A former Condé Nast exec told Keith Kelly, “Condé Nast is operating the way General Motors did a few years ago.” Grim. [Media Ink/NYP]
• The Newspaper Guild is in talks with the Times and has “tentatively agreed … to a five percent salary cut,” effective through December 31 of this year. [NYT]
• Barry Diller’s IAC lost $28.4 million in the first quarter. [NYT]
• Wenner’s Men’s Journal is cutting another two issues. [Media Ink/NYP]
• Former Blender creative director Dirk Barnett has been offered the same job at Maxim under the editorship of Joe Levy, Blender’s former EIC. [FishbowlNY/Mediabistro]
• Senators John Kerry and Ted Kennedy are going to bat in an effort to save the Boston Globe. [Boston Globe]