Over the weekend, the White House released a photo of President Obama firing a shotgun in an attempt to prove that he has, at least one time, indulged in the great American pastime of “shooting at stuff.” Unfortunately, the photo seemed to fail to impress the nation’s skeptical gun folk, who criticized Obama for everything from his grip to his aim to his gut. However, other presidents have looked even worse while posing with guns. Herewith, nineteen photos of presidents (and presidents-to-be) holding and firing guns, in ascending order of impressiveness.
19. Bill Clinton wants to ban this, so not impressive at all.
18. Harry Truman about to blow his head off.
17. While dove hunting, George W. Bush looks like he just heard the smoke monster, but it was probably a dove.
16. George H.W Bush dressed like the Bolivian national flag for some reason.
15. The aforementioned Obama photo.
The following six photos are all pretty neutral — neither impressive nor embarrassing.
14 (tie). FDR aims at something.
14 (tie). Jimmy Carter at a gun show.
14 (tie): FDR again.
14 (tie): George W. Bush getting revenge on one of those doves that scared him so much earlier.
14 (tie). Calvin Coolidge shooting clay pigeons at home.
14 (tie): George H.W. Bush holding a gun he was given as a gift.
8.) Here’s Bill Clinton sitting behind, and possibly touching, a very large gun, which makes him a badass by proximity.
7. Jimmy Carter sitting on the absolute biggest gun he could find.
6. Dwight Eisenhower gets major points for shooting simultaneously with Winston Churchill.
5. A young, terrifying-looking Teddy Roosevelt will not hesitate to use that knife to finish the job.
4. Dwight Eisenhower just going nuts with a machine gun.
3. Ronald Reagan single-handedly defeated the Soviet Union with this assault rifle even though it weighs as much as he does.
2. An older Teddy Roosevelt killed an animal to hang on his wall. Super impressive.
1. But not as impressive as this even larger dead animal that Roosevelt killed for absolutely no reason.