George Zimmerman, who’s best known for shooting and killing 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in February 2012, is back in the news — this time for attempting to auction off the firearm he used in the shooting. On Wednesday, Zimmerman posted a listing putting the infamous gun up for auction, calling it “a piece of American history” and opening the bidding at $5,000. “I thought it’s time to move past the firearm,” Zimmerman said in an interview with Fox. “And if I sell it, and it sells, I move past it. Otherwise it’s going in a safe for my grandkids.”
In the listing description, Zimmerman says he is “honored and humbled” to sell the weapon, in which he claims the Smithsonian Museum has expressed interest. “The firearm is fully functional as the attempts by the Department of Justice on behalf of B. Hussein Obama to render the firearm inoperable were thwarted by my phenomenal Defense Attorney,” he writes. “I recognize the purchaser’s ownership and right to do with the firearm as they wish. The purchaser is guaranteed validity and authenticity of the firearm.”
Zimmerman ads that all proceeds from the sale will be used to “fight Black Lives Matter violence against Law Enforcement officers” and put a stop to “Hillary Clinton’s anti-firearm rhetoric.”
After a long and complicated legal process, Zimmerman was found not-guilty of second-degree murder or manslaughter in Martin’s death in 2013. Since then, he’s kept busy by assaulting his then-girlfriend and, after their breakup, posting intimate photos of the woman on Twitter.
When asked if he was worried some would view the sale as inappropriate, Zimmerman replied that he couldn’t care less about critics. “I’m a free American,” he said. “I can do what I like with my possessions.”