Mon-Fri, by appointment only; Sun, 11am-end of service; Sat, closed
A, B, C, D, E, F, M at W. 4th St.-Washington Sq.
Sitting on the cusp of Washington Square Park, Judson Memorial Church supports a Baptist congregation and the avant-garde arts. Founded in 1890 by preacher Edward Judson as a tribute to his father, the structure itself was designed by Stanford White (the architect responsible for the nearby arch in the park) and features John La Farge's stained glass windows and Augustus St. Gaudens' sculptures. In the sixties, the space became a hotbed of creativity with dance, painting and theater by the likes of Lucinda Childs, Robert Rauschenberg, and the Reverend Al Carmines; the resident Judson Dance Theater emerged as the place of inception for postmodernism in dance. The church also has a history of organizing protests, lectures, and symposiums for social justice—some address Greenwich Village (homelessness); some, the global village (nuclear arms reduction).Stained Glass
John La Farge's trio of 15-foot high windows of the apostles, cut and leaded together to imitate the look of sculpted marble.
Sermons are every Sunday at 11 a.m.