- READER REVIEWS
Saint Paul's Chapel
Mon-Sat, 10am-6pm; Sun, 9am-4pm
Nearby Subway Stops
2, 3, 4, 5, A, C, J, Z at Fulton St.
- Nearby Parking Lots
- Street Parking
Since it was established in 1766, Saint Paul's Chapel has survived much more than the high-rise developments sprouting around it. Manhattan's oldest public building in continuous use—and its only remaining colonial church—has witnessed both the Great Fire of 1776, which burned a quarter of the city to the ground, and the terrorist attacks on the Twin Towers just a block away. Architect Andrew Gautier crafted the chapel—which today is part of the Episcopalian parish of nearby Trinity Church—in Georgian Classic-Revival style, with drab gray bricks and four stately brown columns at the entrance. The original pews have been replaced by 100 simple wicker chairs in a circle facing the middle of the space, where since 2001 a small cross has signified the chapel's incorporation into the nonprofit Community of the Cross of Nails. An exhibit on 9/11—which includes unclaimed boots hung by firefighters on the churchyard spikes—runs the perimeter of the light-pink-walled interior. Otherwise, little has changed since the chapel first opened its doors. Fourteen glass chandeliers still hang from the high, sky-blue ceiling. And the original altarpiece, designed by Pierre L'Enfant, still stands, as does the boxed pew George Washington worshiped from on his Inauguration Day in 1789.