4, 5 at Wall St.; 2, 3 at Wall St.; 1 at Rector St.; R at Rector St.; J, Z at Broad St.
The 25-story spire of Trinity Church rises up from Broadway, majestic yet muted by the gleaming skyscrapers of the financial district. Consecrated on Ascension Day 1846, this Neo-Gothic structure sparked controversy for its ornate, Anglican architecture since the country was still recovering from the Revolutionary War. Massive, intricately carved bronze doors open up to a white nave and sanctuary bolstered by soaring dark wood arches and adorned with some of the country's oldest stained glass. Of equal note is the spooky-yet-serene graveyard where chipped, jagged tombstones date back to the 1700s. Engineer Robert Fulton was laid to rest here, as was Alexander Hamilton, whose dual with Aaron Burr was deemed so disgraceful that rectors buried him as far from the church as possible. The white marble Sugar House prison monument honors some of America's first POWs, held by the British near City Hall. Today the church's active congregationóover 300 years oldóbustles with lectures and concerts. Music is serious business here: When dust from 9/11 ruined the 9,000 organ pipes, the church commissioned a computerized, pipe-less replacement with 80 speakers, 12 subwoofers, and 50,000 watts of power. The renowned Trinity Choir performs internationally, and its Messiah is an annual highlight.All Saints Chapel
Designed by Thomas Nash and built in 1913, the low wooden archway, simple pews, and creamy white marble altar create a small, peaceful haven for prayer and reflection. The chapel honors Dr. Morgan Dix, who served as Trinity's rector from 1862-1908. His tomb sits on the altar.
The Trinity Root
A two-ton bronze sculpture encasing the roots of "the tree that saved St. Paul's," the downed sycamore that shielded Trinity's sister chapel from the debris of the World Trade Center attacks. Displayed to the left of Trinity's entrance.
A tour of the church and graveyard is scheduled for 2 p.m. daily. Call ahead; they're often cancelled. Briefer, docent tours are given after the 11:15 a.m. Eucharist service on Sundays.