2nd Street Cafe
Nearby Subway Stops
2, 3 at Grand Army Plaza; F, G at Seventh Ave.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa
- Brunch - Weekend
- Kids' Menu
- Outdoor Dining
- Singles Scene
- Beer and Wine Only
12th St. to Park Pl., Prospect Park West to Fourth Ave.
This venue is closed.
Walls papered in a blizzard of children's drawings—trimmed from the white paper that tops the square tables—sets a lighthearted mood at 2nd Street Café. But some decorations can be deceiving: the tempting list of French sandwiches painted on a mirror is merely ornamental. Here, American comfort dishes are the thing—creamy, crusty mac and cheese, chicken pot pie, or burgers that are reliable despite occasionally mushy fries. The free-wheeling menu also hops from Thai satay to fish tacos with cilantro-almond relish, overextending itself a bit. Families often fill the crayon-stocked tables, but for smaller parties, the windowed coffee bar is ideal for sipping an espresso and digging into one of the glass-case confections, baked by renowned locals Cheryl Kleineman and Two Little Red Hens. On weekends, diners queue up early for the inexpensive brunch, which runs until 4pm.Recommended Dishes
Macaroni and cheese, $9.95; red velvet cake, $4.95
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu