Mon-Thu, 6pm-11pm; Fri-Sat, 5:30pm-1am; Sun, 6pm-10:30pm
Nearby Subway Stops
L at Sixth Ave.; A, B, C, D, E, F, M at W. 4th St.-Washington Sq.
- Great Desserts
- Late-Night Dining
- Notable Wine List
- Private Dining/Party Space
- Full Bar
- Make a Reservation with opentable.com
Alta is the anti-tapas bar. Yes, its menu consists entirely of small plates, priced from $3 to $15, and yes, many of them—like salty serrano and roasted pineapple—taste and sound Spanish enough. But chef Harrison Mosher’s elegant, offbeat presentations come off more haute tasting menu than run-of-the-mill Madrid. Neighbors drop by the long, welcoming bar for extemporaneous goat-cheese fritters and lavender honey, or a glass of wine from a carefully curated old-world list. The rustic double-height dining room feels like a South American hacienda, and there’s an intimate upstairs alcove that you reach by walking through the kitchen.Note
On Friday and Saturday nights, when Alta is open until 1 a.m., they offer a late-night menu.
- Silicon Valley Start-Up Working to Create a World Where All Pizza Is Cooked by Robots
- Japanese Chain Debuts Predictably Bonkers Ghostbusters Burgers
- Brooklyn’s Take Root Will Host Its First Designer Pop-up This Weekend
- The Stonewall Inn Is Now a National Monument
- IHOP Staffers Turned Their Entire Restaurant Into an All-out Brawl