Astor Bake Shop
Mon-Fri, 7am-9pm; Sat, 8am-10pm; Sun, 8am-9pm
Nearby Subway Stops
N, Q at Astoria Blvd.
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Brunch - Weekend
- Great Desserts
- Outdoor Dining
- Beer and Wine Only
Broadway to Hoyt Ave. South, 31st St. to 12th St.
- Order Delivery with astorbakeshop.com
In more than two decades as a New York pastry chef, George McKirdy has baked birthday cakes for Robert De Niro at Tribeca Grill, dabbled in Asian and pan-Latino confections at Nobu and Patria, and, in his most recent position at Blue Fin, churned out thousands of cupcakes for W Hotel banquets. All that disparate experience coalesces at his new bakery-café, a source for red-velvet cake, rocky road tarts, and herbed buttermilk biscuits — not to mention a light menu of breakfast and lunch fare.
Egg sandwiches come on Portuguese rolls, and the house burger, a six-ounce brisket-and-short-rib blend from Pat LaFrieda, is garnished with a chile-infused mayo. “I’m big into sauces and sloppy sandwiches,” says McKirdy. He’s also especially proud of his house blend, roasted in Gowanus by Stone Street Coffee Co. Other drinks include a green-anise-scented riff on McKirdy’s grandma’s gingerade and a lightly salted lemonade, which tastes, he says, “like natural Gatorade.”Note
Astor Bake Shop makes custom celebration cakes; call to order.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu