Nearby Subway Stops
F at Second Ave.
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Outdoor Dining
- Online Ordering
- Full Bar
Canal St. to 21st St., Ave. D to Fifth Ave.
- Order Delivery with seamless.com
This venue is closed.
In spite of its location amid all those cookie-cutter curry cookers, Banjara is an oasis on Little India's restaurant row. The room and adjoining lounge are cliche-free. And chef Abu Ahmed's unusual dishes like juicy clay-oven chicken marinated in wine and cream should dispel any worries that the street's mythical underground shared kitchen has taken on a new client. Try the dumpakht, a strange, blimpish delicacy from the city of Lucknow. The lamb version (there's also chicken and shrimp) is slow-cooked in a creamy stew with almonds, bay leaves, and sticks of cinnamon, then sealed under a dome of pastry, like some fabulist South Asian rendition of lamb potpie.Recommended Dishes
Sharabi kababi (clay-oven chicken marinated in wine and cream), $15.95; banjara karahi (barbecued lamb with sun-dried tomatoes), $14.95; bay goon ka goon (whole roasted eggplant), $10.95
- You Can Feel Good About Eating This Inception Doughnut Because It’s Vegan
- Roberta’s Set to Take ‘Significant’ Investment From Tisch Family Member
- Watching a Machine From the 1800s Make Candy Is a Surprisingly Satisfying Way to End the Week
- NYC Can Start Fining Restaurants for Salt-Label Violations
- Broadway’s Megan Hilty Eats Her First Proper Dinner at Sardi’s