Nearby Subway Stops
F at Second Ave.
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Outdoor Dining
- Online Ordering
- Full Bar
Canal St. to 21st St., Ave. D to Fifth Ave.
- Order Delivery with seamless.com
This venue is closed.
In spite of its location amid all those cookie-cutter curry cookers, Banjara is an oasis on Little India's restaurant row. The room and adjoining lounge are cliche-free. And chef Abu Ahmed's unusual dishes like juicy clay-oven chicken marinated in wine and cream should dispel any worries that the street's mythical underground shared kitchen has taken on a new client. Try the dumpakht, a strange, blimpish delicacy from the city of Lucknow. The lamb version (there's also chicken and shrimp) is slow-cooked in a creamy stew with almonds, bay leaves, and sticks of cinnamon, then sealed under a dome of pastry, like some fabulist South Asian rendition of lamb potpie.Recommended Dishes
Sharabi kababi (clay-oven chicken marinated in wine and cream), $15.95; banjara karahi (barbecued lamb with sun-dried tomatoes), $14.95; bay goon ka goon (whole roasted eggplant), $10.95
- Here’s What to Expect When Alinea Reopens
- Raccoon Lodge Closing on June 30
- Starbucks’s Plan to ‘Revitalize’ Ferguson Might Actually Work
- Pizza Inside a Delivery Box Made of Pizza Changes Everything
- Grub Street’s Restaurant Power Rankings: Jose Garces Opens, New New Nordic in Midtown, a 4-Star Tea Shop, and More