- READER REVIEWS
Nearby Subway Stops
G at Nassau Ave.
- Bar Scene
- Dine at the Bar
- Late-Night Dining
- Outdoor Dining
- Full Bar
This venue is closed.
Just because Baron's Cafe is located in the heart of Greenpoint (and attracts a largely Polish clientele) doesn't mean you can expect to be courted by a tray of kielbasa. At most, you can quaff a cup of mildly flavored, scarlet borscht, or scarf down a late-night blintz. That's about the extent of the Eastern European culinary influences. The bulk of this diner's menu is roadside fare interspersed with a few ambitious items: a confidently fried whole trout that disintegrates on contact, crispy schnitzel as big as your head, and a bold beef tartare that doesn't seem completely out of place when you consider the elegant red brick and dark-stained wood interior. True to the spirit of the neighborhood, the strength is in the starches: rich, chunky mashed potatoes and a tangy, strangely addictive rough-cut cabbage slaw.Recommended Dishes
Fried tilapia filet, $9.75
- Scientists Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu