- READER REVIEWS
Nearby Subway Stops
G at Bedford-Nostrand Aves.
- Beer and Wine Only
- Sake and Soju
After years of peddling coffee in Austin, Texas, followed by a gig at Champion Coffee in Greenpoint, café manager and barista Allison Stuart decided it was time to open her own shop. She looked all over Brooklyn for a space until finally settling in Bed-Stuy. I was kind of done with Greenpoint, she tells us. So I thought, Let’s roll the die and try something else. Her boyfriend, Brady Dollarhide, a visual artist who designed the interior of the café, says, It’s nice to be in a place you can watch move up.
With salvaged dark wooden doors used as paneling, mismatched blue tiles, vintage wallpapers, a cork-top bar, and warm lights, the café feels as much like a home as a place of business. Furniture and building materials were either purchased on the cheap from Build It Green, or they were found (one wall uses construction board ripped down by Brooklyn’s last tornado). Meanwhile, cookies come from Greenpoint's Ovenly, fresh bread and pastries are available from Bien Cuit, and bagels from wholesaler New Yorker Bagels can be purchased with three housemade flavors of cream cheese. Plus, the beans are shipped in from a Milwaukee roaster, Anodyne Coffee.
- You Can Feel Good About Eating This Inception Doughnut Because It’s Vegan
- Roberta’s Set to Take ‘Significant’ Investment From Tisch Family Member
- Watching a Machine From the 1800s Make Candy Is a Surprisingly Satisfying Way to End the Week
- NYC Can Start Fining Restaurants for Salt-Label Violations
- Broadway’s Megan Hilty Eats Her First Proper Dinner at Sardi’s