- READER REVIEWS
Sun-Wed, 11:30am-10pm, Thu-Sat, 11:30-11pm
Nearby Subway Stops
L at Third Ave.
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Teen Appeal
5th St. to 23rd St., Ave. A to Fifth Ave.
Once you get past the oxymoronic concept, you have to admit there’s something oddly appealing about the idea of vegan sushi—especially if you happen to be among the growing ranks of those who abstain from eating animals and animal products, a life choice that typically limits sushi-bar options to things like burdock and kabocha rolls. For this demographic, Beyond Sushi is a godsend. But even omnivores can relish the occasional fish-free foray into such colorful, creatively constructed novelties as the Spicy Mang, a crunchy sliced cylinder of avocado, mango, cucumber, and julienned vegetables rolled up in purple-hued black rice and garnished with one of the shoebox-size shop’s proprietary sauces, “toasted cayenne.” This might not be the stuff of Jiro’s dreams, but judging by the packs of famished yoginis regularly storming this location and its new Chelsea Market outpost, the Green Roll, the New York market is ripe for it.
Best of New York Awards
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu