Nearby Subway Stops
C, E at 23rd St.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa
- Good for Groups
- Private Dining/Party Space
- Online Ordering
- Full Bar
- Make a Reservation with opentable.com
Perry St. to 26th St., Seventh Ave. to West Side Hwy.
- Order Delivery with seamless.com
This venue is closed.
Bombay Talkie's presence amid a nondescript cluster of shops on Ninth Avenue in Chelsea is a testament to the depth and quality of the dining scene in the city today. The walls are painted with murals of colorful Mumbai movie stars. An LCD monitor glows over the sleek little bar downstairs, so you can contemplate an endless loop of Bollywood movies as you sip cocktails tinged with pomegranate juice. The food is straightforward Indian (as opposed to wacky Indian fusion), with big, curling dosas from the south, a reasonably fiery pork vindaloo from Goa, and a whole amalgam of chats, naans, and kathi rolls designed to evoke the vibrant universe of Indian street food. To this end, there is a “street bites” section on the menu, a “curbside” section, and one called “by the roadside.” You can take the edge off these moderately fiery dishes with several temperate desserts, like carrot halwa, and an excellent selection of ice creams and gelati.Recommended Dishes
Potato dosa, $9; pork vindaloo, $16; carrot halwa, $7
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu