Nearby Subway Stops
A, B, C, D, E, F, M at W. 4th St.-Washington Sq.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa
- Bar Scene
- Dine at the Bar
- Outdoor Dining
- Reservations Not Required
- Full Bar
This venue is closed.
Gone are the white tiles and Japanese-inspired tempura that defined BarFry, Josh DeChellis’s brave if ill-fated foray into deep-frying territory. The entire space has been redone with a Mexican motif, from the Talavera tiles to the stuccoed walls and hand-punched tin, and a Mexican menu to match, courtesy of chef David Schuttenberg, late of Fatty Crab. Cabrito styles itself as a laid-back bar heavy on the tequilas and mezcals, with food hearty enough to sop it all up: Baby goat, the eponymous dish, is rubbed with sour orange, garlic, and chile, then slow-roasted in a banana leaf and served with citrus-tequila salsa. There are tongue tacos, cuitlacoche huaraches, and Mexican sandwiches called cemitas, plus red-chile-braised beef ribs and carnitas Uruapan, or pork confit, chopped and served by the pound with house-made corn tortillas. Weather permitting, outdoor seating will be available out back, and a Mexican brunch is coming soon.
- Where to Drink Now: Testing the Potency of Four Popular Margaritas
- Restuarant Openings: Cabrito and Abigail Café & Wine Bar
Recipes at Cabrito
- Scientists Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu