Mon, 5pm-11pm; Tue-Thu, 11:30am-3:30pm and 5pm-11pm; Fri-Sat, 11:30am-3:30pm and 5pm-midnight; Sun, 11am-3:30pm and 5pm-11pm
Nearby Subway Stops
B, D at Grand St.
Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Bar Scene
- Great Desserts
- Late-Night Dining
- Reservations Not Required
- Full Bar
Austrian native Erwin Schrottner and his partner Andrew Chase, both veterans of the Mark Hotel and Monkey Bar, deliver a satisfying, upscale touch to thick sausages, careful salads, and platters of cured meats and cheeses. But the well-crafted Austrian comfort food in this slender, 25-seat café is a mere solid distraction from the imported beers on tap, including Gosser, a light, rare lager, all served in enormous, half-liter glasses. Well-heeled international undergrads, rumpled creatives, and the occasional local family all tuck in here, for delicious tastes of Bavarian hedonism, like smoked-to-order plump sausages and bernerwurstel, a bacon-wrapped pork sausage filled with white Emmentaler cheese. Red cabbage salad steeped in sweet lingonberry dressing and lemon juice are a classic foil, along with fresh-baked pretzels dolloped with fiery imported mustard. Save room for the homemade desserts, like Linzer torte filled with homemade damson plum jam.
- Scientists Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu