Nearby Subway Stops
4, 5, 6, L, N, Q, R at 14th St.-Union Sq.
American Express, Diners Club, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Business Lunch
- Dine at the Bar
- Open Kitchens / Watch the Chef
- Online Ordering
- Delivery after 10pm
- Full Bar
Houston St. to 20th St., First Ave. to Eighth Ave.
- Order Delivery with seamless.com
This venue is closed.
From a single original shop on University Place, Café Spice has expanded into a mid-Atlantic mini-chain. The restaurants take the middle ground between high-end formality and low-end curry shops, mixing stylish décor with moderate prices. The menu slants away from the familiar outlay, with excursions into diverse pan-Indian regions. Lamb is cooked as ginger-tinged chops, a Punjabi-style braised khaday masala ka gosht, or as a hot Goan vindaloo with potatoes. The vegetable curry is also Goan, served in a salty, tangy red sauce. Potli samosas, beggar’s pouch-shaped turnovers, are topped by twisted dough and stuffed with salty ground lamb. As a chain, attention to detail can sometimes be lacking, although breads are consistently tasty. Airy naans are served piping hot, available in rosemary, onion, garlic, cheese, and lamb variations. The University Place location is understated, with colorful overhead lighting and industrial exposed-metal ceiling vents. Glossy black tables and wall niches display Indian spices and vegetables. A fast-food-style express outlet is in Grand Central’s food court.Recommended Dishes
Naan, $2.95; thali, $24.95; adraki champ, $24.95
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu