- READER REVIEWS
Cafetería La Mejor
Nearby Subway Stops
M at Central Ave.; M at Knickerbocker Ave.; L at DeKalb Ave.
- Outdoor Dining
- No Alcohol
This venue is closed.
This pint-size, pastel-painted Cuban café off the beaten Bushwick path—if you can still call any Bushwick path unbeaten—is long on charm and short on menu. You’ve got Cuban-style coffee, strong and sweet. And you’ve got pastries and sandwiches. That’s enough. The café con leche is made with a pat of butter and a dash of salt, and if you’ve never taken it that way before, you’re in for a treat. Not to mention that this has got to be the best sandwich Cubano in Bushwick, if not Brooklyn: good ingredients, meticulously George Foreman-ed on excellent bread from a Williamsburg bakery (though we’re on the fence about the coarse-grain mustard). You can enjoy both while lounging at the six-seat counter, or out back on the so-called patio, which is about the size of a small California Closet yet perfectly lovely nevertheless.Recommended Dishes
Café con leche, $3.75; sandwich Cubano, $8
Best of New York Awards
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu