Calexico Carne Asada
Mon-Sat, 11:30am-11pm; Sun, 11:30am-10pm
Nearby Subway Stops
F, G at Carroll St.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa
- Reservations Not Required
- No Alcohol
Beard St. to Livingston St., Nevins St. to Columbia St.
This venue is closed.
When opening Calexico’s first brick-and-mortar location in Carroll Gardens, first-time restaurateurs Dave Vendley and his brothers Jesse and Brian found it wasn’t easy building the place pretty much on their own, using income from their two food carts. “You take one tile out of the floor and you realize the floorboards are warped and you have this new problem to deal with,” Dave told us. They serve the items you know and love as well as crack-sauce–laden torta and salad versions, plus new dishes such as shrimp and grits and daily specials such as ribs and tamales. When the beer-and-wine license comes in, there’ll be micheladas too, but for now, expect Mexican sodas and daily aguas frescas. Vendley calls the look of the place unique “but still your modest taqueria,” with a blown-up picture from their hometown of Calexico, California, as the centerpiece, and hand-painted Mexican folk art on the walls.
Recipes at Calexico Carne Asada
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu