- READER REVIEWS
Nearby Subway Stops
F at Second Ave.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa
- Late-Night Dining
- Beer and Wine Only
This venue is closed.
Cantina taps into the increasingly popular trend of channeling Old Havana as restaurant muse. Here, it’s manifested in mismatched plates and chairs, a big family table, breeze-beckoning French doors, and, generally speaking, what designer Jason Volenec is calling his “ghetto hodgepodge” aesthetic—kind of Alphabet City yard sale meets the Buena Vista Social Club. Consulting chef Jason Neroni’s menu is a bit of a hodgepodge, too, covering a range of Pan-Latino small plates, from a daily changing tortilla de España to empanadas to braised chicken thighs with black beans and rice. There’s even a nod to the late, great Latin-inflected Clinton Street restaurant aKa Cafe, in the form of a lamb’s-tongue-and-almond-butter sandwich, this time around served with membrillo on ciabatta.
- Enrique Olvera Opening Casual Mexican Spot in Noho
- Café Gratitude Owners Receive Death Threats Over Animal-Slaughter Scandal
- Watch Key and Peele Go Crazy Eating Hot Wings
- Dunkin’ Donuts Takes Aim at Starbucks With Its New Coffee Strategy
- Where to Eat and Drink Outdoors Now That It's Finally Warming Up