- READER REVIEWS
Carla Hall's Southern Kitchen
Mon and Wed-Fri, 4pm-10pm; Sat, 2pm-10pm; Sun, 2pm-9pm; Tue, closed
Nearby Subway Stops
F, G at Bergen St.
- Online Ordering
- No Alcohol
- Order Delivery with s.chowbot.com
At times, the new Nashville-style hot-chicken joint from television personality Carla Hall seems too cute for its own good. There’s the “Hoot’n Heat Levels” of chile spice, with the kitchen crew hollering “Boomshakalaka” every time someone orders the hottest; the faded recipe cards lining the bathroom walls; and the mini general store of Nashville foodstuffs, from “Sunday-morning pancake mix” to bourbon-nib brittle. But the welcome is genuinely warm, no matter how overrun the small dining room may be, and the chicken itself is golden-crusted and juicy (if not as scorching as we’d been led to believe). It sits on top of a slice of Pullman bread, which soaks up some of the chile oil, and can be ordered by the piece or in combo plates with a choice of sides; we’re partial to the slow-cooked collards, which still have some life in them. If you want to snack on something while you’re waiting, pimento cheese and Ritz crackers is just what it sounds like, which is fine by us.
Related StoriesCheap Eats 2016: The Cheap List (2016)
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu