Mon-Fri, 11am-10:30pm; Sat-Sun, noon-10:30pm
Nearby Subway Stops
6 at 28th St.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa
- Bar Scene
- Business Lunch
- Online Ordering
- Reservations Not Required
- Sake and Soju
- Full Bar
- Make a Reservation with opentable.com
8th St. to 46th St., FDR Dr. to 12th Ave.
- Order Delivery with seamless.com
Since this place has thrived since 1987, you’d figure the owners would coast on its formula of tasty Chinese with especially fresh produce and proteins. But in 2006, along with a dark-wood-and-sconces overhaul of the narrow room, Chef 28 added Japanese specialties to its menu, and a sushi bar to the restaurant’s rear. The split personality doesn’t work. If you’re in the neighborhood, it’s still worth stopping in for hearty dishes like chicken with perfectly crunchy asparagus or rich beef in garlic sauce. But Japanese offerings come off as half-hearted and bland. Sushi and sashimi also arrive wan and faded, understuffed rolls barely holding together. Weirdly, Chef 28 boasts one of the area’s livelier after-work happy-hour scenes; with a giant flat-screen TV behind a well-stocked bar.Look Up When You Leave
Chef 28 is housed in an ornate 1879 building designed by James Renwick, Jr. of St. Patrick’s Cathedral fame.Recommended Dishes
Cashew chicken salad, $8.95; beef with garlic sauce, $15.50; chicken with asparagus, $14
- FBI Looking for Man Who Sprinkled ‘Unknown Liquid Substance’ Around Whole Foods
- Taliban Fighters Are Unimpressed With McDonald’s Food
- Grumpy Del Taco Manager Fired After Not Understanding How Easy It Is to Post a Video Online
- Will Chickpea Water Be the Next Kale?
- Tony Danza’s Side Hustle Is Selling Mozzarella