The Coffee Shop
Mon, 7am-2am; Tue, 7am-4am; Wed-Fri, 7am-5:30am; Sat, 8am-5:30am; Sun, 8am-2am
Nearby Subway Stops
4, 5, 6, L, N, Q, R at 14th St.-Union Sq.
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Bar Scene
- Brunch - Weekend
- Classic NY
- Dine at the Bar
- Good for Groups
- Late-Night Dining
- Outdoor Dining
- Private Dining/Party Space
- Online Ordering
- Delivery after 10pm
- Reservations Not Required
- Online Reservation
- Full Bar
- Make a Reservation with opentable.com
10th St. to 26th St., First Ave. to Eighth Ave.
- Order Delivery with seamless.com
Even though it carries a high risk of poor service and unpleasant encounters with attitudinal (but often pretty) people, The Coffee Shop sometimes seems unavoidable. When it comes to the Union Square area, this loungey pseudo-diner’s varied, inexpensive menu and sidewalk seating make it one of the best casual options in the neighborhood. There’s hardly ever a seat at the bar, which serves up surprisingly good drinks (including milkshakes and mojitos); and there’s usually a wait for a table at peak times, so plan to hang out on the corner of 16th and Union Square for a bit if you go.For Kids
Youngsters will love the crayons and place mats with puzzles.
Sat.–Sun., 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Grub Street’s Restaurant Power Rankings: Dizengoff, Olmsted, GĂĽnter Seeger, and More
- A Trailblazing Chef Arrives in NYC With This Ambitious New Restaurant
- Sauvage, From the Maison Premiere Team, Debuts in Greenpoint
- Australia Got Its Own Naked Restaurant
- Here’s What Bourdain Learned by Eating Noodles With President Obama