Daily, 24 hours
Nearby Subway Stops
L at Eighth Ave.; 1, 2, 3 at 14th St.; F, M at 14th St.
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Dine at the Bar
- Good for Groups
- Great Desserts
- Late-Night Dining
- Delivery after 10pm
- Full Bar
Charles St. to 21st St., Park Ave. to 11th Ave.
- Order Delivery with seamless.com
At both of his Yerba Buena locations and at Toloache, Julio Medina has asserted his prowess with refined Latin American cooking. This casual, diner-style take (with a few eclectic touches thrown in) proves less successful. The setting is cozy and fun, with a long soda-fountain marble counter, booth seating, and checkerboard floors; however, the menu fails to make the same positive impression. Empanadas are crisply fried, with straightforward but unmemorable beef or cheese fillings. Fish tacos are messy yet tasty, with chunks of white fish encased in floppy corn tortillas. Lomo saltado, a heaping mess of fries, short ribs, tomatoes, and onions in a barely discernible ginger-sambal sauce brings to mind a South American poutine. Prices are reasonable (for New York) and the place is open 24 hours, so it’s by no means a bust. Still, Medina would be wise to keep the diner setting just as is and pare down his sprawling menu to a lineup of truly solid dishes.
Empanadas, $2.25; fish tacos, $9.95
- Scientists Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu