Curry in a Hurry
Wed-Mon, noon-11pm; Tue, closed
Nearby Subway Stops
6 at 28th St.
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
14th St. to 42nd St., First Ave. to Ninth Ave.
- Order Delivery with seamless.com
This Curry Hill favorite has been so talked up by its admirers that it is something of a shock to see the place for what it is—a mediocre, albeit idiosyncratic curry joint. If you enjoy the chop-chop Soup Nazi manner of service, perhaps you too will become a disciple. Customers are briskly herded through a cafeteria-style line for food that’s not good enough to justify the rough-around-the-edges (and not in the charming way) service. Nor is it tasty enough to distract you from the mess upstairs that is the dining area, which is in sore need of rehabilitation, or at least the occasional clean-up. Also upstairs is the complimentary salad bar where one can fill up on lemon slices, cucumbers, and iceberg lettuce. Clearly meant to be a perk, the sloppy arrangement is more of a turnoff. Still, if the chicken curry, for instance, were a cut above your standard takeout, this eatery could be a diamond in the rough. Instead, it’s just a hole in the wall.
- Silicon Valley Start-Up Working to Create a World Where All Pizza Is Cooked by Robots
- Japanese Chain Debuts Predictably Bonkers Ghostbusters Burgers
- Brooklyn’s Take Root Will Host Its First Designer Pop-up This Weekend
- The Stonewall Inn Is Now a National Monument
- IHOP Staffers Turned Their Entire Restaurant Into an All-out Brawl