Dang Lai Palace
Nearby Subway Stops
L at Third Ave.; 4, 5, 6, L, N, Q, R at 14th St.-Union Sq.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa
- Beer and Wine Only
- Sake and Soju
- Make a Reservation with opentable.com
- Order Delivery with seamless.com
This venue is closed.
When Zen Palate shuttered its Union Square location in 2007, nearby Dang Lai Palace stepped in to fill the vegetarian void. It also cloned Zen Palate’s famous menu, with word-for-word replicas of favorites like “mango halo,” “shredded heaven” of wheat gluten and soy, and the soy crepes called “rose petals.” Alas, the copies fall flat, even with one of Zen Palate’s former line cooks helming the kitchen. Proteins are limp, the accompanying sauces gloppy and cloying. Dang Lai Palace’s own creations are just bizarre; “avocado salad” arrives as a corn-flecked ball of mayonnaise, and sesame kale with tofu is strangled by salt. Maybe it’s a good thing that appetizers and entrees frequently go AWOL. Decor is Zen by way of IKEA, with water cascading down a glass pane at the door and framed posters recounting Buddha’s life story. You’ll need some good chants to get through a meal here.Recommended Dishes
Sesame medallions, $12; curry supreme, $12
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu