Sun-Thu, 11:30am-10:30pm, Fri-Sat, 11:30am-11pm
Nearby Subway Stops
4, 5, 6 at 59th St.; E, M at Lexington Ave.-53rd St.
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Business Lunch
- Dine at the Bar
- Good for Groups
- Notable Chef
- Private Dining/Party Space
- Online Ordering
- Online Reservation
- Full Bar
- Make a Reservation with opentable.com
45th St. to 65th St., York Ave. to Eighth Ave.
- Order Delivery with seamless.com
The dining room at Darbar Grill—an offshoot of Darbar on 46th St.—has the kind of muted, old boys’ club appearance typical of a midtown steakhouse: Brown hard-backed leather seats with white stitching, wood floors and wall panels, and unobtrusive yellow sconces. A shiny peacock figurine and a traditional bowl of supari by the door are the only flourishes. Nor does the menu look like your average curry-in-a-hurry spot. Chef John Das has bigger, fancier ambitions and, thankfully, his creations are more enticing than the décor. A starter of grilled scallops, smallish and chewy, is enlivened by mango sauce. Even better, an inspired, fiery mix of pesto and cilantro coats jumbo shrimp prepared in a tandoori oven. The attention to detail and presentation extends to basics like bhel, a huge mound of puffed rice, chick peas, tomatoes, and tamarind sauce sprinkled with chopped parsley.
Scallops, $14; kheema mutter, $19; tandoori shrimp, $24
- Here’s What to Expect When Alinea Reopens
- Raccoon Lodge Closing on June 30
- Starbucks’s Plan to ‘Revitalize’ Ferguson Might Actually Work
- Pizza Inside a Delivery Box Made of Pizza Changes Everything
- Grub Street’s Restaurant Power Rankings: Jose Garces Opens, New New Nordic in Midtown, a 4-Star Tea Shop, and More