- READER REVIEWS
Nearby Subway Stops
1, 2, 3 at 14th St.; A, C, E at 14th St.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa
- Notable Chef
- Teen Appeal
- No Alcohol
10th St. to 25th St., Second Ave. to Seventh Ave.
- Order Delivery with delivery.com
This venue is closed.
No ordinary tube steaks, Dogmatic's $5.50 dogs come from all-natural farmers who raise contented, pasture-grazing cows and turkeys, of course. In another break with tradition, Dogmatic serves its sausages not on squishy buns but on crusty, pliant demi-baguettes that are hollowed out and heated on a metal-spiked contraption that looks like a piece of Uncle Fester's Posturepedic.
After the baguettes are unskewered from these spikes (which effectively toast them from the inside) the chefs pour in a choice of homemade sauces or condiments, and then shserove in a hot dog. The beef version on one early visit was deliciously spicy if a little dry, but enhanced by a melty jalapeño-cheddar sauce; the turkey took nicely to mustard. And although a tasty bundle of grilled asparagus slicked with Feta-and-sun-dried-tomato sauce fits no known definition of "frankfurter," gourmet or otherwise, vegetarians can now approach a hot-dog shop without quivering in their pleather booties.
Best of New York Awards
- Scientists Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu