East Japanese Restaurant
Nearby Subway Stops
6 at 68th St.-Hunter College; F at Lexington Ave.-63rd St.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa
- Beer and Wine Only
- Sake and Soju
56th St. to 79th St., York Ave. to Fifth Ave.
This venue is closed.
The Japanese chainlet East serves an array of sushi and appetizers like inside-out tuna maki with a mild mayonnaise sauce and scallions, glistening eel, sweet rice balls thickly spread with chestnut paste. There's edamame to munch on, plus seaweed salad, battered fish cakes, and sweet pastel-colored mochi balls. On the full menu are reliable mainstays, such as chicken yakitori, delicately sautéed vegetable gyoza, and rather heavily battered tempura served with a tangy ponzu sauce. Bento boxes, with hot and cold dishes, are popular. If you're blessed with children who love raw fish, this is a fun place for them to watch the sushi chef in action. And because prices are relatively gentle, you can keep shopping afterwards.Note
The flagship branch of East at 366 Third Ave. has conveyer-belt service where you grab small plates from a passing belt as whimsy strikes.Recommended Dishes
Beef negimaki, $15; vegetable gyoza, $5; salmon skin roll, $4.50
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu