- READER REVIEWS
Nearby Subway Stops
4, 5, 6, L, N, Q, R at 14th St.-Union Sq.
$7.95 - $15.95
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Good for Groups
- Full Bar
17th St. to Atlantic Ave., Bond St. to Prospect Park West
- Order Delivery with seamless.com
This venue is closed.
Despite an unfortunate location, modest menu, and kitschy décor, El Jalepeno is a consistently excellent option for Mexican fare in the Park Slope area. From Negra Modelo mirrors and inflatable Coronas to walls marked by hanging sombreros and comically erotic mass-market posters, the space pays homage to every available stereotype. Warm tortillas and a mild house salsa come with a well-dressed nacho plate, each chip topped with a single jalapeno slice and a smooth bean-and-cheese mix. Taco wraps and dark meat make for crisp, tasty chicken flautas, and enchiladas satisfy despite being heavy on cheese and light on tomatoes and spices. Fajita combos may be the menu's safest bet, arriving on a sizzling cast-iron platter and flavored with bright red peppers, juicy steak, shrimp, and chicken strips, and a liberal serving of sweet onions.Recommended Dishes
- Scientists Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu