- READER REVIEWS
Nearby Subway Stops
4, 5, 6, L, N, Q, R at 14th St.-Union Sq.
$7.95 - $15.95
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Good for Groups
- Full Bar
17th St. to Atlantic Ave., Bond St. to Prospect Park West
- Order Delivery with seamless.com
This venue is closed.
Despite an unfortunate location, modest menu, and kitschy décor, El Jalepeno is a consistently excellent option for Mexican fare in the Park Slope area. From Negra Modelo mirrors and inflatable Coronas to walls marked by hanging sombreros and comically erotic mass-market posters, the space pays homage to every available stereotype. Warm tortillas and a mild house salsa come with a well-dressed nacho plate, each chip topped with a single jalapeno slice and a smooth bean-and-cheese mix. Taco wraps and dark meat make for crisp, tasty chicken flautas, and enchiladas satisfy despite being heavy on cheese and light on tomatoes and spices. Fajita combos may be the menu's safest bet, arriving on a sizzling cast-iron platter and flavored with bright red peppers, juicy steak, shrimp, and chicken strips, and a liberal serving of sweet onions.Recommended Dishes
- Silicon Valley Start-Up Working to Create a World Where All Pizza Is Cooked by Robots
- Japanese Chain Debuts Predictably Bonkers Ghostbusters Burgers
- Brooklyn’s Take Root Will Host Its First Designer Pop-up This Weekend
- The Stonewall Inn Is Now a National Monument
- IHOP Staffers Turned Their Entire Restaurant Into an All-out Brawl