- READER REVIEWS
Nearby Subway Stops
1 at Cathedral Pkwy./110th St.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa
This venue is closed.
On paper, Empanada Joe’s sounds like a great concept: Give classic empanadas a healthful spin with good-for-you fillings, and price them cheap enough so customers won’t stop at one. But the execution at this bright, spare fast-food joint makes you long for greasy street-cart pastry. Lukewarm, chewy turnovers hold miserly quantities of bland fillings like egg and cheese for breakfast, chicken and peppers for dinner, and chocolate-banana for dessert. Because offerings are so inexpensive – an empanada here costs less than a frappuccino – crowds pack the place nonetheless, taking seats at bolted-down stools to chow down at the stainless-steel counter around the pale-yellow room.Recommended Dishes
Rio chicken empanada, $3.99
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu