- READER REVIEWS
Diners Club, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- No Alcohol
This venue is closed.
Music exec Don Pooh saw an unfilled niche for quick seafood and filled it. His Famous Seafood chain takes a southern slant, specializing in fresh, never-frozen fish and soul food sides. Meals are cooked to order despite the fast-food trappings; a human touch sets the tone from the start, when cashiers ask for customers’ names to place an order. Fried catfish and whiting are plump under an appealing, peppery-crisp breading—cooking in corn oil keeps the grease level to a minimum, although an extra-creamy tartar sauce packs a rich punch. Diners seeking healthier options can choose steamed red snapper or blue fish, with yellow rice and steamed vegetables, or steamed and fried crab, plump shrimp, and lobster tails. Skip the crinkle-cut fries in favor of spot-on hearty mac ’n’ cheese. Homemade lemonade and sweet iced tea join red velvet cake and sweet potato pie as additional markers of southern authenticity.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu