Nearby Subway Stops
A, C, E at 14th St.; L at Eighth Ave.
American Express, Diners Club, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Bar Scene
- Business Lunch
- Dine at the Bar
- Good for Groups
- Private Dining/Party Space
- Full Bar
12th St. to 18th St., Eighth Ave. to Tenth Ave.
This venue is closed.
The sprawling space attached to Chelsea Market's well-regarded butcher now houses the classic restaurant of the same name. Favored by meatpackers, contractors, and families glad for the tall, noise-absorbing ceilings, the warehousey, brick-walled room—despite some antique lamps and white-aproned waiters—lacks warmth and style. The same can be said of the menu, which focuses on steaks and chops and a few Italian specialties. Take a cue from your surroundings: Get to the meat of the matter and don't waste your time and appetite on much else, like a limp Caesar Salad and equally unexciting Asparagus Parmesan. Prime cuts of meat come cooked as ordered, with a juicy, mildly flavored shell steak and a tender, nicely marbled skirt steak among the best of the bunch. The famous "block potatoes," mashed potatoes baked with cheese, taste like some instant spuds were slipped in, yet a key lime pie leaves a nice impression. But to be, well, frank, there are better steakhouses in town.Recommended Dishes
Skirt steak, $33; shell steak, $39
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu