Nearby Subway Stops
6 at Astor Pl.
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Business Lunch
- Good for Groups
- Delivery after 10pm
- Full Bar
Houston St. to 16th St., Ave. C to Fourth
This venue is closed.
Gandhi is a Curry Row anchor, consistently crowded with fans who seem willing to overlook the uneven menu. Open since 1984, the restaurant’s interior remains handsomeóred walls adorned with lotus flowers, curved metal samovars resting on shelves, green and red lightingóbut menus are stained with years of grease, and the lack of ventilation can lead to an overly warm dining room. While the sauce in the Chicken Tikka Musallam dish is properly rich and sweet, with tomato-accented cream, plump golden raisins, and sliced almonds, it coats tough, chewy pieces of boneless chicken. Entrees ordered from the tandoori oven are similarly fossilized, from unyielding chunks of lamb to dried-out salmon and beef kebab. But samosas are perfectly fried, mulligatawny soup is properly tangy, and poori breads are delicately puffed.Halal Meats
All meats served at Gandhi are certified Halal.Recommended Dishes
Mulligatawny soup, $2.95; samosa, $2.95; poori, $3.95
- Here Are 2016’s James Beard Restaurant and Chef Award Winners
- FBI Looking for Man Who Sprinkled ‘Unknown Liquid Substance’ Around Whole Foods
- Taliban Fighters Are Unimpressed With McDonald’s Food
- Grumpy Del Taco Manager Fired After Not Understanding How Easy It Is to Post a Video Online
- Will Chickpea Water Be the Next Kale?