Nearby Subway Stops
4, 5, 6, 7, S at Grand Central-42nd St.
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Online Ordering
- No Alcohol
34th St. to 54th St., Second Ave. to Fifth Ave.
- Order Delivery with seamless.com
This venue is closed.
A split personality defines this spot near Grand Central. Its original Moroccan owners perfected a menu of Middle Eastern standards; new Indian proprietors have added expertly prepared meat and veg staples. That makes patrons twice as lucky, since it’s hard to go wrong with either. Hummus, baba ghannouj, and falafel are rich and lively; chana masala, chicken vindaloo, and lamb curry are bold and well-seasoned, with thick and pillowy naan as a bonus. Because food here moves so fast – it seems like hundreds of deliveries fly out the door daily – components always taste fresh. Prices are fair across the board, but the best deal is a $13.95 Indian dinner platter with appetizer, entrée, dessert, rice, naan, and raita. Just don’t expect glam surroundings. Despite its bistro-like name, Grill 44 is a lunch counter, with just four stools at a stainless-steel counter on both sides of the cramped room, which becomes an unpleasant mob scene at lunchtime. You’ll do best with takeout or delivery.Recommended Dishes
Chicken vindaloo, $11.95; falafel platter, $8.95; dinner special, $13.95
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu