Nearby Subway Stops
1 at 18th St.; A, C, E at 14th St.
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Brunch - Weekend
- Dine at the Bar
- Late-Night Dining
- Notable Chef
- Online Reservation
- Full Bar
- Make a Reservation with opentable.com
This venue is closed.
This new 70-seat restaurant on Eighth Avenue seems like a classic, low-key neighborhood spot: smoked meats, pizzas, seasonally driven small plates — not to mention a fairly generic name — but keep an eye on it, as there's an all-star team behind Heartwood. The chef, Bradford Thompson, is a James Beard Award winner ("Best Chef Southwest" in 2006, for Mary Elaine's in Scottsdale). And Thompson is joined by Mark Fiorentino, Daniel Boulud's former chief bread baker, plus restaurateur Nick Mautone, a Gramercy Tavern alum. The restaurant specializes in exotic pizzas like pulled Amish chicken with aged gouda; pickled green-apple and jalapeño; an "Everything Brooklyn Bagel" pie with gin-cured salmon; and "When Peter Luger Goes Out for Pizza," with braised short ribs, creamed spinach, and horseradish.
Megan Fahey, previously of Daniel and Sullivan Street Bakery, is in charge of dessert: Look out for banana-butterscotch trifle with pecan cake, rhubarb-and-berry cobbler with celery sorbet, and a lemon-buttermilk chess tart.Recommended Dishes
"Everything Brooklyn Bagel" pizza; tempura skate fingers; stout-braised beef short rib
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu