Sun-Thu, 11:30am-3am; Fri-Sat, 11:30am-4am
Nearby Subway Stops
6 at 77th St.
- Classic NY
- Dine at the Bar
- Late-Night Dining
- Open Kitchens / Watch the Chef
- Outdoor Dining
- Full Bar
Upper East Side preppies have gathered faithfully at JG Melon since 1972, but its melon kitsch décor makes this local landmark look like it opened back in 1932. Under a pressed tin ceiling and dim yellowed lighting, ruddy-cheeked young men drink Bloody Marys next to casually attired older couples munching salads out of wooden bowls. Space is tight—the narrow, old-time bar and kitchen take up most of the front room while patrons sit elbow-to-elbow in the back. This doesn't dissuade couples in suits from grabbing an after-work drink, but you won't want to impart any secrets in this jovial, noisy environment. The resolutely American menu is painted onto wooden boards and served daily from lunch until the wee-morning hours, with the famously thick, juicy hamburger acting as the house's signature dish. At dinnertime Melon's packed and lines run out the door.Recommended Dishes
Cheeseburger, $8.50; cottage fried potatoes, $3.95
- FBI Looking for Man Who Sprinkled ‘Unknown Liquid Substance’ Around Whole Foods
- Taliban Fighters Are Unimpressed With McDonald’s Food
- Grumpy Del Taco Manager Fired After Not Understanding How Easy It Is to Post a Video Online
- Will Chickpea Water Be the Next Kale?
- Tony Danza’s Side Hustle Is Selling Mozzarella