Nearby Subway Stops
1 at 50th St.; C, E at 50th St.
American Express, Diners Club, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Dine at the Bar
- Notable Wine List
- Full Bar
This venue is closed.
Like a friendly way station for the weary traveler, La Vineria, which means "country inn of wines," is a refuge from the Theater District's often mediocre and overpriced restaurants. It beckons its distinguished, Broadway-bound crowd with warm hospitality, honest Italian trattoria cooking, and oenophilic bliss. The pale yellow dining room features wood paneling that suggests wine barrel staves. Quaint vinicultural prints and countless bottles of vino line the walls. They hint at the restaurant's massive offering of more than 100 wines from all over Italy. The menu joins Northern Italian meat dishesólike pan-roasted leg of lambówith Southern Italian specialties that tend to emphasize seafood. All presentations are straightforward and unpretentious, like delicate pappardelle ribbons sauced with a savory duck ragu. Zuppa di Pesce, a veritable treasure chest of mussels, baby clams, squid, scallops, monkfish, salmon and plump shrimp in a lively tomato broth, demands sopping up with the accompanying crusty bread. You'll come back to this inn again and again.
- Grub Street’s Restaurant Power Rankings: Dizengoff, Olmsted, G√ľnter Seeger, and More
- A Trailblazing Chef Arrives in NYC With This Ambitious New Restaurant
- Sauvage, From the Maison Premiere Team, Debuts in Greenpoint
- Australia Got Its Own Naked Restaurant
- Here’s What Bourdain Learned by Eating Noodles With President Obama