- READER REVIEWS
Latin Cabana Express
Nearby Subway Stops
E, F, M, R at Forest Hills-71st Ave.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa
- Reservations Not Required
- No Alcohol
Metropolitan Ave. to Grand Central Pkwy., Union Turnpike to Yellowstone Blvd.
This venue is closed.
"Fast-food joint" wouldn't be a slam if they were all like this modest Cuban eatery at the nether end of the Forest Hills commercial strip, which serves hearty Caribbean fare at mercifully gentle prices. Succulent, tender goat meat tops fragrant yellow rice; chicken empanadas stuff perfectly spiced chunks of juicy breast meat into a delectably flaky pastry, and it all washes down with mango batidos that would make a Habana mamacita proud. There's also a sizable selection of inexpensive sandwiches—a big hit with a continuous stream of hurried locals, harried moms, and office workers. Atmospheric, Latin Cabana Express is not: Aging Batista-era tourism maps decorate the walls, and the space is so tight there’s barely enough room to turn around with a full belly. Grab a spot at one of the two narrow counters and be prepared to throw elbows.Recommended Dishes
Goat stew, $7.50; chicken empanada, $2; pork chops in tomato sauce, $7.50; mango batido, $3.95
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu