Nearby Subway Stops
L at First Ave.
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Brunch - Weekend
- Good for Groups
- Outdoor Dining
- Reservations Not Required
- Full Bar
This venue is closed.
Life is about as storied a café as you’re likely to find in the East Village: For almost a quarter-century it has fed the artists, actors, and assorted bohemians who hang around this corner of Tompkins Square Park, and its late patron Jonathan Larson immortalized it in his hit Broadway musical Rent. All of which doesn’t mean the food is good—or bad. The menu’s a hodgepodge—burritos, organic salads, Southern fried chicken, pastas, and a slew of vegetarian dishes. You’ll probably be happy with the three-bean chili or brunch (the usual egg dishes, a “vegan scramble,” plus alcohol options that include pints of beer), especially if you enjoy them out on the sidewalk, in the leafy shade from the park.Brunch
Sat.—Sun., 10 a.m.—4:30 p.m.
Daily, 4 p.m.—7 p.m. and 10 p.m.—midnight; $4 well drinks, $2 off draft beers, mojitos, and margaritas.
- Starbucks Introduces Nitrogen-Infused Cold Brew, Just Wants to Be One of the Cool Kids
- ‘Renegade’ Ice-Cream Trucks Terrorizing Mister Softee Drivers
- Classic Desserts Are Returning to New York Menus
- You Can Feel Good About Eating This Inception Doughnut Because It’s Vegan
- Roberta’s Set to Take ‘Significant’ Investment From Tisch Family Member