- READER REVIEWS
Nearby Subway Stops
1 at Christopher St.-Sheridan Sq.
American Express, Diners Club, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Good for Groups
- Great Desserts
- Hot Spot
- Notable Chef
- Private Dining/Party Space
- Online Reservation
- Full Bar
- Make a Reservation with opentable.com
This venue is closed.
Chef David Santos—he gained notoriety for his Portuguese-themed supper club “Um Segrado” after stints in the Bouley, Griffou, and 5 & Diamond kitchens—has returned his focus back to the brick-and-mortar restaurant scene with the West Village’s Louro. Here, Santos has taken the former Low Country space and spruced it up a bit, adding smooth wooden furniture and rustically sophisticated, if understated, décor. As simple as the dining room is, Santos’s newest spot is anything but boring. The food at Louro combines the elegant presentation of contemporary American cuisine with cultural influences and flavors from many others. The pepper-coated Piri Piri shrimp is straight-forward and spicy with the perfect amount of kick, while the roasted pumpkin with mizuna, pepitas, and a huckleberry vinaigrette is both creamy and light at the same time, packing strong earthy flavors into each bite. But some dishes yearn to be further refined— poached duck egg atop smooth polenta is surely unique, but heavy and doused in too much brown butter sauce. Delicately sweet desserts like poached plums served with bay leaf ice cream are worth a taste to wrap things up.Nossa Messa Supper Club
Every Monday, Louro hosts a BYOB supper club series. Each week, the club features a different theme, chef, or cuisine; prices vary. The regular Louro menu is not offered; call for details.Recommended Dishes
Piri Piri shrimp, $7; roasted pumpkin, $12; salmon tartare, $13; cavatelli, $14.
- You Can Feel Good About Eating This Inception Doughnut Because It’s Vegan
- Roberta’s Set to Take ‘Significant’ Investment From Tisch Family Member
- Watching a Machine From the 1800s Make Candy Is a Surprisingly Satisfying Way to End the Week
- NYC Can Start Fining Restaurants for Salt-Label Violations
- Broadway’s Megan Hilty Eats Her First Proper Dinner at Sardi’s