- READER REVIEWS
Nearby Subway Stops
L at Grand St.
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Brunch - Weekend
- Dine at the Bar
- Late-Night Dining
- Online Reservation
- Beer and Wine Only
- Make a Reservation with opentable.com
This venue is closed.
Wooden slats spelling out Mahzen Grill against an orange background mark the entrance to this serene Turkish restaurant on chaotic Grand Street. The front-room bar features Turkish and European wine and beer, while beyond, white-covered tables are surrounded by local paintings and photos for sale (chef-owner Adem Turkmen rotates the restaurant’s collection periodically to help expose area artists). His extensive appetizer menu goes beyond the usual hummus, baba ghanouj, kofte, and cacik with smoked-salmon-wrapped goat cheese rolls, zucchini pancakes, and sigara boregi, filo dough shoots filled with feta. Homey entrees, like hunkar begendi (beef stew atop eggplant purée) and fatty lamb meatballs share the menu with classic shish kabobs and whole fish platters. Traditional pastry desserts include baklava, layered filo dough drizzled with honey, and kadayif, wrapped semisoft cheese.
- Here Are 2016’s James Beard Restaurant and Chef Award Winners
- FBI Looking for Man Who Sprinkled ‘Unknown Liquid Substance’ Around Whole Foods
- Taliban Fighters Are Unimpressed With McDonald’s Food
- Grumpy Del Taco Manager Fired After Not Understanding How Easy It Is to Post a Video Online
- Will Chickpea Water Be the Next Kale?