Nearby Subway Stops
L at First Ave.
American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Bar Scene
- Good for Groups
- Live Music
- Full Bar
Houston St. to 14th St., Ave. C to First Ave.
This venue is closed.
Like any good meyhane, or Turkish meze house, Maia offers a great variety of cold meze (up to 35, enough to satisfy a hungry pasha), all arranged on a tray the size of a satellite dish. The more dishes you order, it seems, the more complimentary meze you get. It’s a tactic that works: For every familiar standby like cacik (cool cucumber-and-dill-laced yogurt), muhammara (excellent red-pepper-walnut-and-garlic paste), or patlican tava (melting fried eggplant with tomato and yogurt), you might discover a new favorite like topik (spicy chickpea balls stuffed with black currants and pine nuts) or a tangy Turkish goat cheese. The bar serves a slew of newfangled martinis and a few rustic Turkish wines, but for the true meyhane experience, opt for raki, the traditional—and strong—anise-flavored liqueur.Meze Special
Sun., all-you-can-eat cold meze, $17.95
Every Tue.—Thu., and occasionally other nights of the week; live DJ and belly dancing Fri.—Sat. nights; check the website for further details
Tue.—Thu., 5 p.m.—7 p.m., $3 beers
- Introducing the Pie Sundae, Which You Can Go and Eat â€‹Right Now
- CafĂ© Henrie’s Light, Bright Dinner Menu Launches Tonight
- Mayor de Blasio Urges New Yorkers to Avoid Chick-fil-A
- FBI Apprehends Whole Foods Customer It Says Sprayed Mouse Poison in the Store
- Grim New Study Says Some Pacific Oysters Contain ‘a Cocktail of Pharmaceuticals’