Mama's Food Shop
Nearby Subway Stops
F at Second Ave.
- Good for Groups
- Singles Scene
Canal St. to 14th St., Ave. D to Sixth Ave.
This venue is closed.
"Shut Up and Eat It" is the motto at this ever-expanding down-home, downtown soul-food operation. Grungy hipster locals chow down on carb-heavy comfort food amid garish thrift shop paintings and a porch door that never stops slamming. It's Louisiana meets the Loisaida as surly servers spoon heaping portions straight from a steam table onto your plate and Dominicans play dominoes on the sidewalk outside. Choose from a list of Mama's Basics (fried chicken, meat loaf, seared tilapia, etc.) with choice of side order, including mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, beet salad and fresh green beans--all for $12.50.
Mama's meat loaf with mac & cheese, $12.50
- Silicon Valley Start-Up Working to Create a World Where All Pizza Is Cooked by Robots
- Japanese Chain Debuts Predictably Bonkers Ghostbusters Burgers
- Brooklyn’s Take Root Will Host Its First Designer Pop-up This Weekend
- The Stonewall Inn Is Now a National Monument
- IHOP Staffers Turned Their Entire Restaurant Into an All-out Brawl