Mama's Food Shop
Nearby Subway Stops
F at Second Ave.
- Good for Groups
- Singles Scene
Canal St. to 14th St., Ave. D to Sixth Ave.
This venue is closed.
"Shut Up and Eat It" is the motto at this ever-expanding down-home, downtown soul-food operation. Grungy hipster locals chow down on carb-heavy comfort food amid garish thrift shop paintings and a porch door that never stops slamming. It's Louisiana meets the Loisaida as surly servers spoon heaping portions straight from a steam table onto your plate and Dominicans play dominoes on the sidewalk outside. Choose from a list of Mama's Basics (fried chicken, meat loaf, seared tilapia, etc.) with choice of side order, including mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, beet salad and fresh green beans--all for $12.50.
Mama's meat loaf with mac & cheese, $12.50
- Founder of Acclaimed Whiskey Brand WhistlePig Ousted Over Fraud Accusations
- Olive Garden Stakes Its Future on ‘Spaghetti Pie’
- Pravda, Another Formerly Trendy Soho Relic, Will Close Next Month
- Scientists May Have Discovered a Way to Keep Bananas Fresh at Least Twice As Long
- New York Accuses Domino’s of Helping Franchisees Steal Workers’ Wages